BioWare said they were listening to the community. They have heard and now they have spoken…
In my previous post, I presented some of my thoughts on the Mass Effect 3 ending. I also mentioned that BioWare said on their site and social media that they were listening to the fans and planning to address the concerns that fans had. Well, BioWare has finally come out with an official announcement on their next “big” project for a ME3 DLC called ME3: Extended Cut. They announced this back on April 5th, but I’ve just been too damn busy lately to post this. Basically, this free DLC will be addressing some of the concerns that players had with the ME3 ending – mainly unanswered questions to some of the cut scenes we were presented. Scenes such as what happened to the Normandy’s crew (and I guess that means how your squad mates got back on to the ship), the galatic fleet and the epilogue of each race, why the Normandy was flying through the Mass Relays, etc.
This is great news for those of us looking for some answers, but the bad news is that BioWare has firmly stated they will not be changing or be adding to the existing endings – ever. While I never really believed they need to change the current endings, I was hoping they would add an additional ending (or endings) - preferably a happier ending where Shepard lives, Reapers get destroyed without killing all synthetics and keeping the Mass Relays intact. I believe they could’ve done that without ruining the “artistic integrity” of the current endings. I admit, I’m a bit tired of seeing them use the term “artistic integrity” to describe the existing ending. I don’t feel the current ending options are artistic at all, the entire story, however, is. But this is their story, so I guess the ball’s in their court on how they want to end this trilogy.
Who knows? Maybe in the extended cut, it will show what happened to Shepard in the “destruction” ending and if he really survived. If he did, that’d be nice – but I feel really bad about the Geth and EDI. Guess we’ll just have to wait and see what they come up with!
From the BioWare Blog, it states:
An official press release went out today announcing how we are re-prioritizing the Mass Effect 3 post release content schedule to provide a more fleshed out experience for our fans. For many of you the “Extended Cut” will help answer some questions and give closure to this chapter of the Mass Effect story. Oh and it’s at no cost to you – the fan.
Here is a mini FAQ to help you understand what the Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut is and isn’t:
What can fans expect from the Extended Cut DLC?
- For fans who want more closure in Mass Effect 3, the DLC will offer extended scenes that provide additional context and deeper insight to the conclusion of Commander Shepard’s journey.
Are there going to be more/different endings or ending DLCs in the future?
- No. BioWare strongly believes in the team’s artistic vision for the end of this arc of the Mass Effect franchise. The extended cut DLC will expand on the existing endings, but no further ending DLC is planned.
What is BioWare adding to the ending with the Extended Cut DLC?
- BioWare will expanding on the ending to Mass Effect 3 by creating additional cinematics and epilogue scenes to the existing ending sequences. The goal of these new scenes is to provide additional clarity and closure to Mass Effect 3.
When will the Extended Cut DLC be available?
- Currently the Extended Cut DLC is planned for this summer, no specific date has been announced at this point.
Why are you releasing the Extended Cut DLC?
- Though we remain committed and are proud of the artistic choices we made in the main game, we are aware that there are some fans who would like more closure to Mass Effect 3. The goal of the DLC is not to provide a new ending to the game, rather to offer fans additional context and answers to the end of Commander Shepard’s story.
Will there be more Mass Effect 3 DLC?
- More content is being planned and we will release information at a later date.
So there you have it. Are we proud of the game we made and the team that made it? Hell yes. Are we going to change the ending of the game? No. Do we appreciate the passion and listen to the feedback delivered to us by our fans? Very much so and we are responding.
Summer is coming…
As a side note, Square Enix has announced a trio from ME3 in their Play Arts Kai line-up. Commander Shepard, Ashley and Garrus! I think they look kind of ugly (except Garrus), but to be fair, I think majority of the Play Arts figures are pretty ugly and lack quality finish, especially on human faces. I’ve pre-ordered them anyway, simply because I love Mass Effect! =P
Kotobukiya has also announced their Bushoujo line is going to have a Female Shepard. Naturally, I’m going to be pre-ordering that as well when she’s available. But come on, how about a Miranda figure already?! XD